Monday 25 June 2018

Holiday Sketchbook

I recently went on an interesting trip with a friend Rita, my sister Sonia and my brother Julian.   We flew to Singapore and then sailed on a cruise ship across to Phuket in Thailand, on to Colombo, Sri Lanka and then up the side of India visiting Goa, Kochin and Mumbai.  we then crossed the Arabian Gulf to visit Muskat, in Oman and Dubai and Abu Dhabi where we stayed for two nights before flying home.

What a journey visiting 6 countries and boy it was hot!  I challenged the girls to keeping a simple journal with photos, ephemera, notes and anything else we fancied. We found it very hard keeping up as when we were not touring, we were either tired or busy on the ship.

When I had a moment I tried to do some simple drawings with pen and watercolour. These pages  were of the costumes of the beautiful dancers who greeted the ship in Colombo.
We decorated the pages to add interest and record the colours of the  region. This was a photo of a statue in a church in Kochin India.
A sketch of the jungle at the Spice farm which we visited in Goa.  MMMM  Was it here that I picked up the bug which gave me the runs for 8 days!!!

It was a brilliant day though.
There was not much time for stitch but I tried to recreate a ceiling design from a temple in Columbo.
I love the crinkle page edges.

This project took some time but made us look and observe more.  We now have a brilliant record of our trip, as I wrote up on some of the pages what we did and where we went.  There is enough material here for countless future projects and of course reliving our amazing jouney.

Despite the few health issues we had!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment