Tuesday 20 October 2015

Black Kimono Top

I bought a metre of black sheer fabric for £3.50 last year from Fabric land with the idea of making a simple kimono cardigan. I don't like sewing with this sort of man made fabric as it is hard to handle and this experience didn't change my mind. However the print was gorgeous and I couldn't resist buying it.

I couldn't seem to create a  perfect unpuckered seam even though I tried a couple of different methods.  When shopping I looked at commercial garments and found that they were just the same, so have decided that it is just the nature of the beast!


I folded the fabric over sideways with the selvages along the bottom.  I cut up the front of the cardigan to the fold and at this point cut sideways each side to allow for my neck. I removed some of the fabric to make a rounded area at the back of the neck and to shape the front to make a v shape.  I then removed an oblong of fabric from each lower corner to create sleeves.

I sewed up both sides and neatened with my overlocker and then turned back all of the other edges.

Black is a bit harsh on me as my skin is pale but the cardigan may be useful around Christmas time. 

I left the bottom edge raw as it had a pretty fringe along its length.  I sewed on some lack ribbon to hide the selvage holes.






No comments:

Post a Comment