Tuesday 27 January 2015

Apple Blossom Appliqué - 3

I decided to mount my apple blossom applique on to some medium weight Lutrador ( a versatile man made fabric which may be purchased in different weights),  which I had spray painted with various green paints over some crayon doodles.

 I trimmed the Lutrador with a rotary cutter leaving a 3cm border.


I wanted to attach a channel on the back of the embroidery so that a strip of wood could be passed through for hanging, so I cut a strip of Lutrador and pinned it in place.

The strip had to be sown on before the Lutador backing was attached to the embroidery so I separated the two pieces while I did this.  I sewed on the top edge of the channel and then added the wood strip while I pinned it in place.  This was because the wood was curved and I wanted to allow extra room so that it would not distort the finished piece.  Once I had pinned the channel in place I removed the wood and sewed along the bottom edge.


I then laid the embroidery back in position over the Lutrador and sewed the two pieces together around the embroidery edge, making sure the hanging sleeve was at the top.

The border was then trimmed back to 2cms and I sewed on a curtain ring just above the wood channel on the centre back.

The embroidery was finished and may be hung as is or framed.

No comments:

Post a Comment