Friday 21 November 2014

Cook Books and Cooking

When I named this blog I felt that I had to include some foody bits as the subject is never far from my thoughts and when I am involved in any textile endevors there is usually some sort of cake calling to me.

I do have a weakness for cakes and pour over my many cookery books, though tend to cook straightforward recipes most of the time.  All of my books have little slips of paper sticking out with all the recipes I am going to make someday, and I love to experiment. I tend to cook with lots of herbs and spices and love a good curry, especially when my sister Sonia cooks her South African lamb one. (Hint hint!). 

When I am feeling in the need of comfort, its to my cake books I go, and one of my favourites is "The Clandestine Cake Club"  by Lynn Hill.  The photographs are wonderful and so are all of the cakes I have made from this book.  The Clandestine Cake club are groups of people all over the country who make cakes to taste and share but don't know where they are going to meet until the last minute.  This club sounds like my idea of heaven, but my hips and thighs could not take the strain unfortunately!

I made the Cardamon, Rose and Rhubarb cake recently and will share the recipe in the next blog.



  As you can see I have quite a few cookery books. I am afraid this is not the lot as I have a few more dotted round the house as well, just in case I need sudden  inspiration.  It is easy to forget good recipes and  finding one again in a book is like hidden treasure. I nearly always write in my books, so I know when I liked something, or what went wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment