Friday 19 December 2014

Maple Cardigan - part one

As soon as I saw this Rowan knitting pattern by Marie Wallin I knew that I had to try and make it.  As I taught my self to knit my technique is not brilliant but I have been knitting for over 35 years now and so I decided to give it a try. I changed some of the colours from rust and blue to pink and blue which suit me better and the yarn is Rowans Felted Tweed which is a merino, wool and alpaca blend.




  I started knitting the cardigan in August and it was very slow going.  The rib knitted up quite nicely but then I found I could only knit a few rows at a time as it was hard work keeping all the wools from tangling.  I took the unused wools across the back catching them every few stitches.  I finally knitted most of the back and then my aunt Gila from France who was visiting us at the time, showed me how to catch the wools every time.  I had a little try and felt that this technique produced a better finish.

To the horror of my friends who had seen me battle on for weeks with the cardigan, I unpicked the whole lot!  I am now trying to knit with this new technique and find it slightly faster, or maybe I am just getting better at untangling wools! Here is the first pattern section finished.

The knitting is quite firm and less stretchy.  My goal is to finish the back by the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment