Thursday 15 January 2015

Apple Blossom Appliqué - 1

I have been working on a new textile piece in my apple blossom series.  The background was constructed out of collaged fabrics which I had painted, stamped and stencilled.  After I had arranged the pieces on a calico background,  I stitched them all down with rows of running stitch by sewing  machine in a slightly haphazard way so that the look was not too perfect

I then took some simplified flower designs from my apple blossom sketchbook, traced them onto bondaweb, ironed them onto the backs of different fabrics and cut them out.  I played around with the arrangement until I was happy with the spacing and ironed them on after removing the backing paper. I then sewed around the edge of each one with a free machine embroidery stitch using black rayon thread.



I bonded on some more blossoms and some leaves in the same way and stitched them on with some green and pink rayon threads.

I have stitched around each piece several times so that edges are not too precise.

No comments:

Post a Comment