Wednesday 23 August 2017

Winter Panel Wallhanging 1


I have an area in my hall on which I like to hang a wall hanging for each season and I was missing one for Winter.  At the Festival of Quilts I bought a Scandinavian Folk panel which I thought I could customise.  I could have made the whole hanging from scratch but I am very short of time.

I cut out the blocks and placed them on my design wall for inspiration. I cut out a few small squares to test them for colour.
Each panel was  10 inches square and so after I measured the size of the finished hanging, I cut out some 10  inch squares and did a rough plan of where they would positioned.
I rearranged the panel blocks  and then started working in the spaces with small squares.  I wanted to keep the colour palette simple with grey, white, red and pink.
I wanted some of the blocks to look like red work and so I searched through my embroidery patterns on my embroidery unit for any that might be suitable.  I didn't want any Christmas ones as I would like to have the option of hanging the quilt all Winter.

Some designs were sown out with red thread, some with grey and others in white to add variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment